+380.000 other summaries
A unique study tool
A rehearsal system for this summary
Studycoaching with videos
Remember faster, study better. Scientifically proven.
PREMIUM summaries are quality controlled, selected summaries prepared for you to help you achieve your study goals faster!
Summary - Studiestof Technology Innovation Strategy
Boek doornemen adhv slides
1.2 Invention and innovation
What is the definition of invention?
Invention refers to the new idea or concept as such (e.g. a patent). This becomes an innovation when it is introduced to the market.
What is innovation about?
Is about finding new ways to do things and to obtain strategic advantage. It is the succesful exploitation of ideas.
What is innovation?
The first commercial application or production of a new product or process
What is the process of diffusion?
The process of user acceptance and implementation
The whole process of invention, commercialisation and diffusion is invention. Some innovations are not based on inventions check boek
1.3 Forms of innovation
What three forms of innovation exist?
Product innovation, Process innovations and Service innovations
What three other forms of innovation exist (II)
Product, Service and Process
Name innovation examples of the three forms of innovation (II)
Product: Ipod/ballpoint pen
Service: Telephone insurance, social networking
Process: Moving assembly line, social networking
Why whe interact; kind of process
Process; way of producing
Name three forms of innovation (III)
What is a sustaining innovation?
Not in same course as innovations before, large innovation ; car going faster instead of a plain. Same path of innovation before.
What is an incremental innovation?
Tiny/small innovation; small steps in the same direction
What is a radical innovation?
Air into fuel. Completely new innovation. Usually technical
What is the difference between a sustaining and a radical innovation?
A sustaining innovation is a large leap forward but still in the same line of thought. Radical is usually technical.
What is a disruptive innovation?
Disruptive technologies, doing different things steal making.
Book makes mistake with radical/technical and disruptive/business
What is a modular innovation?
Within a modular not a system.
What is an architectural innovation?
Change linkage between components
Name a characteristic of a radical innovation
Technical and it is a container term; everything really different
1.4 Typology of innovation
What are the different typlogies of innovation?
What are the differences between the different typologies of innovation?
Reinforced, unchanged: incremental
Reinforced, changed: architectural
Overturned, unchanged: modular
Overturned, changed: Radical
Concerning components/core concepts and system/linkages
Latest added flashcards
Search attributes: can be verified prior to consumption
Experience attributes: can be verified after consumption
Credence attributes: cannot be verified, not even after consumption
percieved added value/ price
- Transition in several sectors are moving to an acceleration phase in which a structural regime transformation takes place.
- Strategic activities at the level of a societal system that take into account a long time horizon
- Tactical activities activities at the level of subsystems that relate to build up and break-down of system
- Operational: activities that relate to evaluation of the existing situation at the various levels and their
interrelation of misfit.
- Reflexive: activities that relate to evaluation of the existing situation at the various levels and their
interrelation of misfit.
- Disruptive innovation scores worser in the beginning than the general accepted one
- Most of the time they posses new valuable aspects, are cheaper, easier or smaller than the common alternative
- Disruptive innovation is first promoted in small upcoming markets promoted
- Meanwhile the product is made better and sharper until it can comply with demands and standards of customer
- At this moment the new product displaces the old one and dominates the new entrant the market
- Market potential
- Dedicated human resources
- Marketing task proficiency
- Product meeting customer needs
- Predevelopment task proficiency
- Dedicated R&D resources
- Technological proficiency
- Launch proficiency
- Order of entry
- Technological sophistication of the product
- Differences in measurement factors (short-term/long-term performance data, multi item vs single item performance measure, subjective vs objective data) and contextual factors (e.g. services vs goods, North-American vs. Asian markets)
In the product innovation literature, firms which have never successfully marketed a new product are underrepresented.